Dear all,

This is where I write when I get bored from making presentations and straining my eyes over Balance Sheets! Your honest feedback is always welcome. Whether you like a story or you think it's shit - I'd love to hear your honest opinion.

In case you're wondering why there's a picture of a fish on my blog swimming in a bottle of vodka, you'll have to figure it out yourself.

Feel free to leave your comments.

Regards,

PD

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Diary of Tanya Singh

(based on a true story)

TANYA SINGH
Age: 33
Brisbane, Australia.



Friday, 27th July 2007, 11.15 pm the rooftop of my office building, 25th floor: In my 7 years of career with this company, I’ve come here for the first time. Normally, I don’t have any business on the rooftop. Nobody in this organization does. I hardly ever step on to any floor other the 10th – where my cabin is, and the conference rooms on Floors 2 and 3 or the cafeteria when I’m hungry. My work is my life. I’ve spent quite a few nights on the couch in my cabin, because there’s too much to do and no time to go home. Never really got the opportunity or the time to explore. Today, I have it – the time and the opportunity.

A week back, I unceremoniously ended my trip to my home country – India. I was born and raised in Pune till the age of 22. My father is the CEO of a leading bank in Australia. He and my mom had been living in Brisbane since I was 10. I was raised by my grandparents in Pune. Finance was in my blood. I finished studying my Chartered Accountancy at 22 and then moved to Brisbane where I did my MBA, Finance. Campus placement got me here, a lot of dedication saw me rise amongst the ranks. It’s very exhausting and very satisfying.

After coming to Brisbane for the first time, I never went back to India – in 10 years, until last week. My vacation was readily sanctioned. I hadn’t taken one in 7 years. I had a bit of a tough time explaining to my parents and my husband, Vinay why I wanted to go to Pune for vacation but I convinced them that I had friends back there who I wanted to meet. A bit of a lie to be honest. I had had friends in Pune. I also did stay in touch with them for a couple of years after I moved to Brisbane – over the Internet and sometimes the phone. But soon I lost touch. But Vinay didn’t ask too many questions. He just knows when not to ask them. And mom and dad believed me - eventually. I made my flight and hotel reservations and took a Cathay Pacific flight from Brisbane to Mumbai on 19th July. Another short flight from Mumbai and I was in Pune. I reached the flight entrance and my heart skipped a beat when I caught the first glimpse of my city – after 10 years. I got down the staircase and looked around before getting onto the bus. Nothing really seemed familiar, at least from the runway. I was feeling different – the memories came flooding back to me. I took a taxi to the Sun-N-Sand. It was late and I was exhausted. Didn’t really take much of an effort to fall asleep.

When I woke up the next day, it was 10 am. Hadn’t had the luxury of waking up so late in many years. Felt good to have no agenda for the day – no meetings, no flights to catch, no presentations. Nothing. Had a quick shower, nice breakfast and sat down on the bed. The curtains were open, the warm sunlight flooded my room. I felt a certain kind of blankness. Hadn’t informed anyone that I was coming. It was a different feeling. Detached, indifferent ….I don’t know what it was.

I love to read. My study is the favorite room of my house. And O Henry is one of my favorite authors. I’m bringing him into the picture because it’s relevant to why I was in Pune. There’s a short story by O Henry called ‘After Twenty Years’. It is about two childhood friends who grew up like brothers in New York. When they were about to embark on their careers, one of them stayed back in New York and the other moved to the West. But they made an agreement. The agreement was that after exactly 20 years, on the same date and time, they would meet at the same place – no matter where they were or what situation they were in. Twenty years is a long time and eventually they lost contact. One became a criminal, the other became a cop. And though 20 years is long enough to forget, it so happened that they both remembered the appointment and turned up at the agreed place. Only, the criminal couldn’t see the cop’s face since it was dark but the cop recognized him. Not having the heart to arrest his best friend, he gets a colleague to do the job for him. Friendship vs. duty. Tough.

Here’s how this is relevant to me.

In 1992, three of my school friends....

(to be continued...)

Copyright © Priyanka Dave

No comments: